Autumn is here, and along with the cooler weather comes a totally different variety of local produce. Gone are the berries, rhubarb, and melon (spring and summer fibre-rich superstars!), but here comes a brand-new plethora of delicious, fibre-rich substitutes.
Fall Fibre-Rich Fruit
- Apples: traditional fall fruit with 4.4 grams of dietary fibre per medium apple.
- Pears: ripe at the same time as apples, with 5.5 grams per medium pear.
- Pumpkin: pumpkin contains .5 grams per 100 grams.
- Figs: these suckers contain roughly 5 grams of fibre per 4 fresh figs.
- Cranberries: they’re super rich in antioxidants and contain 2 grams of fibre per half cup of raw, fresh cranberries.
Fall Fibre-Rich Vegetables
- Winter Squash: 1.5 grams of fibre per 100 grams of squash.
- Parsnips: They babies boast 4.9 grams of dietary fibre per 100 grams of parsnips!
- Turnips: 1.8 grams of fibre per 100 grams of turnips.
- Sweet Potatoes: These yummy gems contain 3 grams of fibre per 100 grams of sweet potatoes.
- Yams: Even higher than sweet potatoes, yams contain 4.1 grams of fibre per 100 grams.
Taking advantage of local and in-season produce also equals other health advantages. Local produce spends less time in transit (than, say, pineapple), and because it’s in-season, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and all the other good things are at their peak.
And you can taste the difference! When carrots are in-season, they’re sweet and earthy as opposed to relatively tasteless. You’ve probably noticed the difference in taste when it comes to certain foods at different times of the year, right?
Also, from a digestive health perspective, the fibre-rich foods that are cultivated each fall are so good for your gut. Our bodies crave fresh, in-season, fibre-rich foods!
To find recipes using these fibre-rich foods, visit out website and check out our blog and our recipes page. To add some easy fibre to smoothies, soups, stews, and baking, try NutraCleanse™, which is full of fibre-rich flax seeds.
Visit a retailer near you, or order online at www.nutracleanse.biz.